- This event has passed.
A Handbell Workshop for the Individual Ringer
April 29 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm$20
Are you a handbell ringer looking to improve your ringing skills? Whether you are a beginner, intermediate or advanced ringer, this is your opportunity to ring like the pros. You will have the opportunity to take three classes taught by members of the Philadelphia Handbell Ensemble, a local auditioned community handbell ensemble. You will also hear a short performance from their repertoire which will showcase some of the techniques you have learned.
This is not an event for massed ringing or an event where you need to prepare any music in advance. This workshop is designed to improve ringing skills for the individual ringer.
What to Bring
Gloves – that’s it!
All bells, tables, foam, equipment, music, mallets and chimes will be provided for you.
Two Ways to Register
Registration has now closed.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS APRIL 13, 2017. Space is limited, so register early!
9:45 – 10:00 Registration (and coffee)
10:00 – 10:10 Welcome and Orientation
10:10 – 11:00 Class Session 1
11:05 – 12:00 Class Session 2
12:00 – 12:40 Lunch (provided)
12:45 – 1:35 Class Session 3
1:45 – 2:00 Performance by PHE
CLASSES FOR HANDBELL PHE-VER 2017
- Basic Ringing – A class for beginning ringers. We will cover such basic techniques as how to hold a bell and how to hold a chime. The class will also cover proper ringing technique – both to avoid fatigue and to promote musicality; how to dampen the sound; timing and how to coordinate with neighboring ringers; and how music is scored.
- Bass Bell Techniques – This is intended for beginning and intermediate ringers, or as a refresher for experienced ringers. We will cover how to hold a bass bell; balance; sharing; timing; and effective use of throwing the clapper.
- Change-Ringing – This is a class intended for ringers of all skill levels. The class will provide a short history of handbells; the background of change-ringing; and its uses in worship. Skills covered will include cross and stretch; a basic change ring in even count from rounds to rounds; and call changes in worship.
- Rhythms – Ringers of all skill levels are welcome for this class. In this class, we will demonstrate why all notes are not rung with the same force. We will focus on time signatures – what they really mean; macro beats and micro beats; accents; and musicality.
- Treble Techniques – This class is intended for intermediate ringers or as a refresher for experienced treble ringers. It will focus on four-in-hand ringing skills such as proper arrangement of bells; proper ringing sound; changing enharmonic bells from right hand orientation to left and reverse; and how to do six-in-hand when needed.
- Weaving – Intended for intermediate ringers or as a refresher for experienced ringers, this class will focus on the correct techniques for weaving. We will cover chromatic placement of bells; body movement to avoid crossing hands; proper ringing sound while weaving; proper damping; and the proper technique for passing a bell to another ringer.